Saturday, May 9, 2009

Summer Carrot Soup with Ginger Essence


The taste and body of this soup will have you savoring every spoonful. So simple and elegant, it's perfect for a brunch or summer dinner. I serve with a mixed green salad and parmesan crisps. And yes, it's even better the next day so feel free to make ahead and gently reheat.

2 lbs. organic carrots (typically sweeter)
4 1/2 cups water,
2 tsp. salt
5 inch piece fresh ginger, approx.
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup dry white wine
Additional water

Cut tops from carrots and peel them. Halve and cut into one inch pieces. Place in pot with water and salt and cook at a gentle boil until they are soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, grate the ginger over a fine grater into a fine sieve placed over a bowl. Press down on the grated ginger, until you have 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of ginger juice. Set juice aside.

Once the carrots are soft, transfer carrots and remaining water to a food processor and process until smooth. Careful when processing hot foods. Add cream and 1 tablespoon of the ginger and process again. Return to pot and add wine and additional water (if needed, you probably will need) to reach desired consistency. This is not a thin soup. Gently bring back to low boil, taste and add remaining ginger juice if desired. Serve.

Notes: You can reserve some cooked carrot, slice it, and place on top of soup with a drizzle of cream for a nice presentation. You may also reduce the amount of cream if you are looking for less fat calories.

6 comments:

A.Marie said...

I am going to print and save this recipe to use when I have an abudance of carrots from my garden this year. This sounds just too yummy not to try! :)

But, since I am kind of a novice when it comes to cooking with things like ginger, where do I even find ginger? Can it be grown in a garden?

Rico said...

I just really love carrot and ginger both in soup like here as in a smoothie, maybe a little apple too just on the smoothie.. wonderful soup velvety and smooth. well done. :) xx

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful and anything to do with summer makes me smile! Thank you for the post and I'm glad that I found you through A.Marie! Gotta love her.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd drop by and say HI!

Devany said...

This looks wonderful. Just dug up a pile of purple carrots and I have plenty of ginger in my garden too.

~devany, Hilo, HI
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Easy and awesome summer soup!

I added one more teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of dried coriander (if only I had some coriander seeds to roast up)

Well done!